- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Cook Time 1 1/2 to 2 hours
- Hand whisk or stand mixer
- Parchment or greaseproof paper
- Baking tray
- 3 eggs and 6oz caster sugar or 4 eggs and 80z sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp cornflour
- 1tsp white wine vinegar
- Whisk egg whites until stiff. Add sugar one spoon at a time constantly whisking with an electric whisk. I leave over 30 secs between each spoon so it’s really whisked in.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp cornflour and 1 tsp white wine vinegar. Add to egg whites and whisk in.
- Using a plate outline a circle into greaseproof paper and place on baking tray. Pile meringue mixture onto it in a crown shape. Try to get lots of lumpy high bits – it looks better.
- Bake for 1 1/2 -2hrs at 150 degrees. Pile with whipped double cream and seasonal fruit such as raspberries, blackberries or strawberries when cool.